Friday, July 3, 2009

Ho Kurios Mou Kai HoTheos Mou

"Blessed are those who have not seen and believed. Seeing is believing is as the slogan goes, but as St.Paul reminds us that Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1 Thomas had witnessed many of Jesus miracles, heard his sermons, spoke with him in quiet evenings by a charcoal fire and still he could not break from the slogan. He needed more. I know in my life there are times when I need more. When the world has thrown a blanket over me and I am consumed with my own self indulgences . Thomas is in all of us, he is in a sense a spiritual benchmark along the faith journey. As venerable John Henry Newman wrote "Jesus praised easiness of belief and condemned hardness of belief . To be easy in believing is nothing more or less than to have been ready to inquire; to be hard of belief is nothing else but to have been loath and reluctant to inquire" Faith is God's gift to us, it is only when we abandon it do we ask for proof, something we can measure it with...seeing is believing...but in reality seeing is not believing. When the consecration of the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ occurs that is our Thomas moment. The time to proclaim Ho Kurios Mou Kai HoTheos Mou, literally the Lord of me and the God of me.

No comments: