Monday, December 29, 2008

Things that Go Bump in the Night

This past month has brought several days of morning fog. I woke up last night and began to think about fog. Fog is paradoxical, in its cloak which we often think of it hiding things or at the very least limiting our visibility, yet it can reveal things that are hidden. Spider webs come to mind and tidy little hideaways that insects have built. I think fog is a paradox of life, in fact for the Christian life. I am speaking for myself when I say that my faith is like a fog. Often I'm not sure what lies ahead. There are times when I can't even make out the landscape and have to rely on things that are close and familiar. Spiritually speaking I feel like I am constantly coming in and out of the fog like the view from a airplane that is flying through the clouds. I believe our country is in a fog. Like a fog that creeps in from the sea very slowly engulfing everything, similar to one seen in a fright night movie. Yes, the overwhelming number of people who can only see a material life of excess, who can't see the poor, or that a baby is living in the womb of the mother. I also believe that the best opportunities for faith come when we are blanketed in a fog. Dark nights and tragedies often leave us alone and wondering just who is out there. It is in this struggle of fear, loneliness and sense of abandonment, precisely when this fog that envelopes us that we find the ray of light. We can live our faith in a fog, not realizing the depth of beauty and riches that our Church has from the lives of the saints to the sacraments....Today is the feast day of St. Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury and martyr.

No comments: