Wednesday, August 26, 2009

What Matters is Internal Not External

Jesus said "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You are like whitewashed tombs, which appear beautiful on the outside, but inside are full of dead men's bones and every kind of filth. Even so, on the outside you appear righteous, but inside you are filled with hypocrisy and evildoing."
Sometimes we look at the Pharisees as this awful group of religious men, yet they were probably the most pious Jews of Jesus' time. What Jesus is in essence saying to them is that in this New Covenant what matters is not the external but the internal. Jesus is the "new Moses". Moses wanted the Jews to be recognized as outside of the pagan world, thus they were concerned with external things, he gave them the Law and showed them how to live. Jesus in the New Covenant proclaims a New Law, not to replace the Old Law but to fulfill it. What is important to us as Catholics living in the 21st century is that internally our hearts are united with the heart of Christ who lives within us. His two fold commandment of loving God and loving neighbor transcends what was the Old Law. The external things of our faith are important but are secondary to the internal things. St. Paul clearly understands this in his letter to the Corinthians the 13th Chapter when he proclaims "If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing." Jesus says "that, where your treasure is, so will your heart be " Treasure the perfect of Love which is Christ Jesus.

No comments: