Sunday, May 17, 2009

Deus es Caritas

In John's first letter he writes: "Whoever is without love does not know God, for God is love." Love that is true must be active and visible. In obeying the two interwoven commandments of loving God and neighbor we become imitators of Christ, whose ministry was marked by the acceptance of others who were not considered worthy to be in His presence. Jesus reminds us of this when He says " For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." This love is no longer merely human love, for in loving as "Just as the Father as loved me so I love you" we are participating in the Divine love of Christ. This "agape" love of God seeks nothing in return but rather recognizes the true worthiness intrinsically existent in the dignity of all human beings. Paul reminds us that our faith is all about love when he says"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,b]"> but have not love, I gain nothing." Through our love to one another we give glory and honor to the Father and thus abide in Christ the source of perfect love.

No comments: