Thursday, May 28, 2009

Start With Prayer

On life's journey we often find ourselves in places that we wonder how we got there. Upon reflection we can see a point where either we were distracted or lost focus or just weren't paying attention. This happens in all areas of our lives. Another means by which we are pushed off track is from a sudden traumatic event, like the loss of a loved one or of employment, the times when people and things that are suppose to be there are not. It is in these times when are lives are derailed, that we begin the process of our "soul searching". In a real sense a "comfortable" life, by that I mean one in which our daily events are predictable and our philosophical mindset is relegated to our narrow world, does not insure we are living the life Christ would want us to. We need security of course, predictability not chaos to an extent but not to the exclusion of recognizing the compelling needs of those who are less fortunate or lonely, or have physical and health problems, or financial problems, or even do not know where their next meal is coming from. The real means to keeping an open heart and mind to others is first accomplished through a daily prayer life. If your life is in topsy turvy, or you feel empty, or the foundation that you rested and relied on has been shaken perhaps, just perhaps this is God's means of getting your attention. Even the prodigal son had to wish for the swine's meal to "come to his senses". Jesus prayed prior to every big event; from choosing His disciples to raising Lazarus to the Agony in the Garden. In John 17:20-36 lifting up His eyes to heaven Jesus prayed saying "I pray not only for these but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me. Father, they are your gift to me. I wish that where I am they also may be with me, that they may see my glory that you gave me, because you loved me before the foundation of the world." We can abide in Christ through our prayer which will lead us to Him. In times of distress, uncertainty, loss, emptiness, and confusion, start with prayer and your path will be made known.

No comments: