Wednesday, April 1, 2009

We Too, Mock Christ

Some began to spit at Him, and to blindfold Him, and to beat Him with their fists, and to say to Him, Prophesy" And the officers received Him with slaps in the face Mark 14:65
A
nd they blindfolded him, and asked him, saying, Prophesy: who is he that struck thee? Luke 22:64

Each and every time we live as the world would like us to and not as imitators of Christ, we mock Him. Each and every time we begin to look at our piety as something more than it is, we mock Him. Each and every time we count our blessings and disregard our brothers we mock Him. We may desire to throw a blindfold over Christ but He sees all. He knows what is in our hearts. St. Paul reminds us that it is only through the Love of Christ in us that we are truly living as He would want us. This despite all what we perceive as being good. He wrote in his Letter to the Corinthians:
If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.
And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing.
If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Let us not throw a blindfold over Jesus, but resolve to be the Light of the World.

No comments: