Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christ Came in Poverty to Teach Us Humility


Allow me to tell you about what true joy is. These four beautiful children live in poverty in various places on this planet. I have been graced by God to have the ability to contribute in a small way economically to their lives. Every now and then I receive a card or a note from one of them. Invariably it comes at a time when I am struggling with one thing or another. They always express immense gratitude for simple things like shoes, rice, or a blanket and ask God to bestow His blessings on me. Their notes and cards serve to remind me about Christ who came in poverty and to remind me that my life here is not about me, or my bills or what gifts I need to get, or what restaurant I am going out to. I am overjoyed to play a small part in their lives. I could tell you that there monthly incomes range from $50 to less than $150 or that they live in crowded small one room houses. When Joseph and Mary arrived in Bethlehem, they were told there was no room for them to stay and thus the Creator of the Universe who makes each wave on all the waters of the earth in every sea and ocean, and each twinkle on all the stars in the universe, who knows each hair on yours and my head, was relegated to a place where the animals slept and were fed, to make His entry here in our world. God knows what poverty feels like. In this time of global recession, the poor suffer more than anyone else. If you can possibly find the money to support one of these children you will find joy in something greater than yourself and God's grace will touch your heart. That is what Christmas is truly about. You can sponsor here at www.children.org or http://www.cfcausa.org You can also give a single donation to www.foodforthepoor.org

No comments: