Monday, April 19, 2010

Holding Onto What is Dear

There are times for all of us when we spiral deeply into our own negative feelings. I liken it a child who when they don't see their mommy or daddy, in that momentarily lost moment begin to panic. We look in at our life in all four directions and only see a wall. We come up empty, we cast doubts. These doubts begin to spread to despair. This happens to all of us. it has happened to many saints. People were surprised to hear that Mother Theresa had her dark nights. In one sense uncertainty is good. Recall Simon Peter when he answered Christ after many disciples left when Jesus had told them that unless they eat his flesh and drink his blood they would not have eternal life. "Master, to whom shall we go? The things of the world that are so frustrating for me have left me with no alternative. I have nowhere to go but my Lord and Master. There are times that I feel like giving up. I'm tired and worn out, my energy has been drained. There has been so much transition in my life, I can't say I know where I'm headed. In these times I am most comforted by reflecting on the love of Christ. I'm holding onto what is dear to me in these hours of darkness.

No comments: