Sunday, March 1, 2009

Delight in the Law of the Lord

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. I can give you conclusive evidence to that fact, and that is if you ever witness me putting something together. Invariably I will miss some part of the directions and what was suppose to be a shelf is an open space or the door is upside down and the legs are on the top. Thank God my calling was not to be a carpenter. But in life there are instructions too. Instructions on human relations, we humans, when left to our own accord fail miserably in that department. We are great in creating things, in scientific marvels, or engineering feats or new discoveries but getting along with one another takes something beyond our capacity. For those who disagree I would point to the events of the 20th century when there were many attempts to make man live together under one type of philosophy or another. The results were war, holocausts, ethnic cleansing, genocide, imprisonment, persecution, and hatred. The Psalmist tells us not to walk in the counsel of the wicked but to meditate on the law day and night. We have to work at our faith, practice, get the instructions down. We also have to do everything in a spirit of love and civility. I propose that starting with myself on this day, as God is my witness, I will begin to respect and act civil towards everyone I encounter including those whom I disagree. I hope everyone would try this. When we truly experience God in our lives, present in our hearts we can give up the pride and self importance that hinders good discussion. We can become civil and maybe the world will move on that direction.

Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.

But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.

Not so the wicked!
They are like chaff
that the wind blows away.

Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.

Psalm 1

No comments: