Saturday, February 28, 2009

How Do I Love Thee, My Sweetheart

Today is my wife's birthday. I thank God every day for my sweetheart, who has made my life a joy and who is guaranteed sainthood for putting up with me for over thirty years. This little poem reflects my feelings for you my precious dear:

How Do I Love Thee
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace,
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,-I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!-and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death. Happy Birthday My Love!

No comments: