Thursday, January 22, 2009

By What Do We Merit This?



"Because we all deserve a lifetime". Those words echoed in my mind last night while I lay awake. You see earlier that evening I had watched a commercial it was about the Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Rally for the Cure. This is major fundraiser for the cure of breast cancer. I have had friends and family members who have overcome cancer, died from cancer, and have battled cancer. I visit a hospital once a week and meet people who are suffering from it. I am by no means insensitive to those who have experienced it,and the physical, emotional and psychological ordeal that goes with it. Organizations like Susan G. Komen for the Cure are raising money and doing good things. I am strictly dealing on a philosophical level here. "Because we all deserve a lifetime" Why? I ask. Give me an answer to that question. I am not looking for answers like, you want to live to see your daughter married or your son graduate from college. Those are personal reasons. I want a universal, global and philosophical answer. I am not being flippant here. Tell me who deserves a lifetime and give me a valid reason. What merits one to deserve this gift of life? Why is the gift so precious even to those who have lived a great deal of years. What is a lifetime anyway? 20 years, 30, 60, 80? I can't come up with an answer as to why I, or anyone deserves a lifetime. I mean that. I believe this in my heart of hearts, I deserve whatever God gives me. I can't see a distinction between a long life and a short life in those terms. I can't find anything in my logical universe that merits me a so called "lifetime". As near as I can see the only qualification for warranting a lifetime is that you exist. Breast cancer is primarily a women's disease ( some men have it), women feel strongly about it, it is devastating. Women's rights and particularly what is called "the right to choose" (but the choice they want is not my choice), is perhaps the most prevalent argument for the abortionists. Medical science has pretty much proven what we already know, that life begins at conception, most people understand that, unless of course you are the current president of the USA. Women have a right to choose. That's the battle cry. My question to you is this. If we all deserve a lifetime, then don't we at least deserve to be born? Who is the arbiter of a life? Who gets to decide that a baby lives or dies,and on what merit do they deserve it one way or another. You see you can't answer this question without saying it is God, and only God who should decide, and at the same time march for a cure to breast cancer. Think seriously about this. How do you merit deserving a lifetime and a child in a woman's womb does not deserve to be born?

Prayer for the Unborn

Heavenly Father, in Your love for us, protect against the wickedness of the devil, those helpless little ones to whom You have given the gift of life.

Touch with pity the hearts of those women pregnant in our world today who are not thinking of motherhood.

Help them to see that the child they carry is made in Your image - as well as theirs - made for eternal life.

Dispel their fear and selfishness and give them true womanly hearts to love their babies and give them birth and all the needed care that a mother can give.

We ask this through Jesus Christ, Your Son, Our Lord, Who lives and reigns with You and Holy Spirit, One God, forever and ever. Amen.

Prayer form EWTN Pro Life Resources

No comments: