Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Great Deciever

Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and am here; I did not come on my own, but he sent me.

Why do you not understand what I am saying? Because you cannot bear to hear my word. You belong to your father the devil and you willingly carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks in character, because he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I speak the truth, you do not believe me. Can any of you charge me with sin? If I am telling the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever belongs to God hears the words of God; for this reason you do not listen, because you do not belong to God." John 8:42-47

Read the above passage as if Jesus were speaking directly to you. Of course the Word of God should speak directly to you. Are the playthings of Satan distracting you so much you cannot hear Jesus speak to you. If you are cynical and do no think that Satan exists and is a figment of people's imagination, all I can say is that he is happy you think that way. He is the master of deception and will continue to run things for you as long as you permit. That is your free will working. That is why many are blinded to their sins. They have followed Satan's path for so long not even aware that he has them in his grips. He has set up his tent in the culture of death and is quite comfortable there. Satan loves death, he is all about death. he is happy about the death of the family, delighted in the death of worship, is thrilled by the death of virtues and morals and righteousness. He wallows in the lust for materials, sexual pleasure, drug and alcohol use, all destructive things. Do not underestimate him. If you belong to him you will as Jesus says willingly carry out his desires.
You need help to combat him. Even those who are not in his camp for he is always seeking new members, here is some advice:

"After you have made a decision that is pleasing to God, the Devil may try to make you have second thoughts. Intensify your prayer time, meditation, and good deeds. For if Satan's temptations merely cause you to increase your efforts to grow in holiness, he'll have an incentive to leave you alone."

-- St. Ignatius of Loyola


No comments: