Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Are You Carrying Your Cross?

Jesus said in Matthew 10: 38-39 "and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it".
Are we really taking up our cross? This is a question for each and everyone who professes to be a follower of Christ. What are the crosses we are to bear? Perhaps its a family member who has a past history of doing you wrong. I don't mean abuse, but perhaps they haven't treated you fairly, maybe they are too selfish, too stubborn, too disinterested. Sometimes the tables get turned and that member is in need, take up your cross and go to him or her. Your cross could be waiting for you each and every morning you go to work. Try being humble, considering their needs before yours. Your cross could be the physical pain you suffer from. Perhaps it is the results of an accident or perhaps father time has caught up with you. Offer it up to Christ, united with his suffering. Your cross could be that job you did not get or the deal that fell through. Your cross could be the failed relationship or people in your life that have disappointed you. Your cross may be that you are a caretaker of an elderly parent or a disabled child. We live not a perfect life without suffering, but a life of opportunity. Opportunity to say yes today I will begin to carry my cross. I will put others before me. I will be there when needed. I will not complain. Our journey will never be an easy one. Christ asks us not to turn from our suffering, not to blurt them out, or do something that is destructive. He asks us to face them straight up and rely on His strength. In a way Christ helps carry all our crosses. Reflect on that.

No comments: