Thursday, February 5, 2009

Just Another Ordinary Day

When my children were younger I began to emphasize to them how God is a part of their life. I would ask them a question each and every morning as they awoke. "What's today?" To which they replied, "Another brand new day, a gift from God." The gift of my life is something I will be eternally grateful to my Heavenly Father for. Every ounce of it, every second, from the lowest lows to the highest highs, from the most foolish mistakes to my highest achievements. I am honored that God chose me to be His creation. It is with this gratitude that I begin my day. In the Gospel of Luke 24: 13-35 we are told the story of what's known as the Road to Emmaus. Jesus is almost playful as these travelers discuss their interpretation of the events of the past few days. "Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; but they were kept from recognizing him." For these two individuals, this was the beginning of an ordinary day. The rise and now fall of the Jesus was over and they were journeying ,ready to begin another chapter of their lives. Just another ordinary day. But as they were soon to find out, no day is ordinary when you encounter Jesus Christ. The world and all its attachments, and the Evil One would love to drag you down and get you worked up about something, that is for a lack of a better description, ordinary. But remember this, Jesus may just be in disguise, walking along with you. Recognize Him and escape the ordinary.

No comments: