Friday, February 27, 2009

Pslam 103

Jesus said to call his Father "Abba" which translates roughly to Daddy, in an endearing and affectionate manner. I like that image of God because I am a daddy. I have in that role encountered the full range of emotions - from delight and excitement to anger and disappointment. Children are life's greatest joy and if God feels that way about me as I do about my children then it's ok. I'm sure I disappoint Him at times but He's is always there to encourage me to give me the love and support I need to get things back on track.
That very essence of love, the love that Paul describes in his letter to the Corinthians is what is what God is about. In reflecting on that love, we can be confident that although we are a mess, sinful and disobedient, He will be waiting for us to bring ourselves before him in sorrow and forgiveness. Psalm 103 says how God feels about us:

He does not treat us according to our sins,
nor repay us according to our faults.

For as long as the heavens are high above the earth,
so strong is his love for those who fear Him

As far as the east is from the west, so far does He removes our sins.
As the heavens tower over the earth,

so God's love towers over the faithful.
As far as the east is from the west, so far have our sins been removed from us.

As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on the faithful.

For he knows how we are formed, remembers that we are dust.

No comments: