Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Pauline Litany for Continued Conversion


"But understand this: there will be terrifying times in the last days. People will be self-centered and lovers of money, proud, haughty, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, irreligious, callous, implacable, slanderous, licentious,brutal, hating what is good, traitors, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, as they make a pretense of religion but deny its power...always trying to learn but never able to reach the knowledge of truth 2Timothy 3:1-5, 7

A PAULINE LITANY FOR CONTINUED CONVERSION

R. Give me the grace of conversion, Lord

That the kindness of God is offered to us to lead us to repentance.
-How often I am oblivious to the signs of God's patience and forbearance.
R.

That God is God who gives life to the dead and calls into being what does not exist.
-How easily I give into negativity and pessimism in my life.
R.

That affliction produces endurance that results in hope that does not disappoint.
-How preoccupied I become with my problems, difficulties and troubles.
R.

That where sin increased, grace overflowed all the more.
-Recurring sin fills me with sadness and doubt.
R.

That the God who handed over his Son for us will give us everything else along with him.
-Too often I fail to trust God's providence, and I revert to self-reliance instead.
R.

That anguish, distress, persecution, or peril will not separate us from the love of Christ.
-Yet how often I refuse to believe this and I put up resistance to that love.
R.

That love bears all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
-Yet how little of my life is motivated by true and pure Christian charity.
R.

That power is made perfect in weakness.
-Yet how often I disdain my weakness by trying to escape in self assertion.
R.

That it is no longer we who live but Christ lives in us.
-At times I grow inattentive to the presence of Jesus who is my life.
R.

That we have been granted the grace not only to believe in Jesus Christ but to suffer for him.
-I can be so cowardly toward the pain and struggle in my life.
R.

That the peace of God will guard our hearts and minds.
-How many false plans, preconceptions, and attachments keep God's peace from taking root in my life.

That through God's beloved Son the Father desires to reconcile all things.
-Yet often I grow despondent about the broken relationships in my life that seem beyond repair.
R.
composed by Father Peter John Cameron O.P.

I would like to take this opportunity to pray for my mother-in-law Julia Maloney Meole who passed away seven years ago today. We all miss you dearly. I want thank you for being so kind and supportive to me, as a young parent and a mess of a person. I never told you how much I appreciated that. Dear Lord we pray that Julia has entered your Heavenly Kingdom, where we may be reunited with her one day. Requiet in Pacem.

No comments: