Friday, February 13, 2009

It's Never About You

I often forget in my spiritual journey and for that matter in much of what I do, that my life and my actions should not be about what I perceive as good for me. Two thoughts here: one of the most important discoveries that a young person can make (although unfortunately for many of us it comes much later) is that there is something much greater than yourself. That move from the ego centric towards a universal view is one that opens all of us to a larger world. When our faith becomes central to our being, it opens us up to the splendor of God, all of his creation, his boundless mercy, and his wondrous love. It is both freeing and exhilarating. The second thought, is that there is an enormous responsibility as an evangelizer, teacher, religious, and especially clergy to avoid crossing that line, making the situation about what is good for them. It is a difficult line and through prayer, self denial, contemplation one can increase one's awareness. St. Philip Neri once said, " He who desires anything but God deceives himself, and he who loves anything but God errs miserably." The things that troubles me about the popular tv Evangelists are that for the most part it is about them. But they are not alone in this problem. There are Catholic priests and laity who allow their egos to take over from time to time. Father Z's post speaks to "getting out the way" in Church worship. I grew up with an awe and respect for the Mass and especially being present on the altar. (I was an altar boy for many years). I witness that from time to time a lack of reverence and a lack of awareness of what, and whom the Mass is about. I am certainly preaching now and God knows that I fail miserably in my attempts to make sure that in everything I do, I do for the glory of God. That doesn't diminish the fact that we can all use a dose of humility and learn to get out of the way and let the Holy Spirit do His work unimpeded by our desire to do what is good for us.

No comments: