Saturday, February 21, 2009

He Knows What He is About

Lent is soon to be upon us. I believe that there is much to be gained from this Lenten journey because in a way, we, that is our great nation has been given a gift of one sort - difficult economic times. What you may ask is this gift that you speak of? Well I think that it is paradoxical, that when we are in "good times",and our abundance is plentiful, and we have in our minds the notion that "God is taking care of us" we tend to ignore Him and go about the duties of living our lives. Oh, but when the situation is reversed and the very fabric of our personal security and welfare is in question, we turn to God, especially when we run out of options. If we are turning to God then that is a gift no matter what you think. We are left with a choice. We can "lose it" over the impending difficulties, that is to say get upset, depressed, angry, despondent and become hopeless. I like to believe that the better choice is to see what is really important in our lives, and how can developing a mature relationship with God can gain for us an inner peace. A peace that cannot be destroyed or damaged by the things going in the world. Lent is a time of reflection, a good number of things are available for us to begin getting to know God and His plan for us. Prepare yourself now by asking what you are going to do and to make a commitment to do it. Finally, be consoled that no matter what is going on we are serving God. From St. John Henry Cardinal Newman:"Whatever, wherever I am, I can never be thrown away. If I am in sickness, my sickness may serve Him; If I am in sorrow, my sorrow may serve Him....He does nothing in vain; He may prolong my life, He may shorten it; He knows what He is about. He may take away my friends, He may throw me to strangers, He may make me feel desolate, make my spirits sink, hide the future from me; still He knows what He is about.

No comments: